Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Tomoka River & Strickland Creek

Because you cannot say Fawn without the Aw!!!!!

 When I left Saturday morning was not set yet between going to De Leon Springs State Park or Tomoka State Park. Left late so I was more inclined to go to De Leon Springs. But somehow got boxed on I-4 and missed the exit so kept going East to Tomoka State Park.


Green Heron chick

Put In / Take Out: Tomoka State Park. Check the link for information and entry fee.

Fawn

After buying my annual pass for the Florida State Parks was in the water around 9:15 AM. A mat of mating manatees was visible near the boat ramp so decided to stay close and shoot pics there. Did not count with the strong breeze and a choppy Tomoka River. It was my plan to kayak down river, as on my previous visit did paddle up river, but the wind was too strong and it was not fun to paddle against it. So went upstream instead and to Strickland Creek all the way up to Sanchez Park,  Here are the pics of what I saw, that was not too much...

Mating manatees in the Tomoka River

Tomoka Rivers Manatees

Sandpiper

Tomoka River Manatees

Tomoka River Manatees

Tomoka River Manatees

Cormorant

Cormorants

Cormorants at the confluence of the Tomoka River and Strickland Creek

Saw a couple of does and a Pileated Woodpecker on my trip up Strickland Creek but was not able to get a decent pic. The woodpecker was against the Sun and the does were running into the forest from the yard of a house near the river. I saw them again on my return trip in the same area. Went past Sanchez Park where found a small herd of manatees. Saw more in that little area than in my a little less than one hour paddle up the creek.


Strickland Creek manatee

Strickland Creek Manatee

Juvenile Little Blue Heron

Manatees


Green Heron

Green Heron

Stopped at Sanchez Park for 45 minutes and then started my down creek paddle back to the State Park. Was distracted by a pair of does, probably the same one I saw on my way up creek, and a fawn. That was the highlight of this trip...

Little Blue Heron

Little Blue Heron

Osprey

Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Doe in the forest

Deer

Deer family

Fawn


Tomoka River Yellow Crowned Night Heron

Sandpiper

And that is it for this one. A nice long day at the waters of Strickland Creek and the Tomoka River. Thanks for coming and receive an invitation for our next post, where we will be sharing with you more Views From Our Kayak.

Tomoka State Park Boat ramp



No comments:

Post a Comment