Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Viera Wetlands and Moccasin Island Tract (NKP)

Otter

Today's weather kept me me out of the water. That was unfortunate, or maybe not. A nice fine lady in the Orlando Wetlands Park photography workshop mentioned something about Moccasin Island Tract, near Viera Wetlands. I had never been in that place before so planned to pay it a visit today. Glad I did. Had a super walk inside Viera Wetlands and a heck of an experience at the Moccasin Island Tract. The Otter wins the opening pic spot for this post but I do like the other two options.

American Kestrel

Eastern Meadowlark

Since this was not a kayaking post will share will you the pics with only a few comments here and there. Hope you enjoy the pics...

Moorhen

Moorhen

Green Heron

Pied-Billed Grebe

Huddle Up!!! A Pied Billed Grebe and a Coots

Turtle at the Viera Wetlands

Pied Billed Grebes

Anhinga

Loggerhead Shrike

Great Blue Heron

Tri-Colored Heron

Red Shouldered Hawk

Savannah Sparrow

Great Blue Heron

Coots

Coot

Great Egret

Cattle Egret

One of the advantages of walking in Viera Wetlands, instead of driving, is that you can go back and forth. A nice couple drove by me and told me about a "little otter" they saw in one of the roads behind us. They kept going and I walked back to where they told me the otter was. They were right. An otter was enjoying the sand/dirt playing on it. Gave it plenty of room and got a few pics. It stopped every now and then to check on me but did not mind my presence.


Otter

Otter

Otter

Otter

Otter

Something scared the otter since suddenly it ran into the water. Saw it swimming for a few minutes wondering if it was coming out again. It did not do it and I continued on my way to the parking lot. 


Eastern Phoebe

Palm Warbler

Since the plan was to go also to the Moccasin Island Tract this time did not drive around the wetlands before leaving. Went straight to the 3.5 miles road that takes you to the tract. Coincidentally saw the nice fine lady that talked to me about this place on my way there. She mentioned that there was a kestrel at the end of the road.

American Kestrel

American Kestrel

American Kestrel

Eastern Meadowlark

Eastern Meadowlark

American Kestrel

American Kestrel

I did not include information about this location on this one. Sorry about that. Please check a previous post about Ritch Grissom Memorial Viera Wetlands, or just check the link. And this is it for this one. I miss kayaking but am grateful we have places like this, Viera Wetlands, to go and admire nature. Thanks for coming and do not forget to check our Facebook page, with more pics from this and other trips. Hope you come back this weekend. We will be sharing more pics and the Views From Our Kayak.


American Kestrel

2 comments: